Drone CI is a state-of-the-art continuous integration and delivery platform that allows busy development teams to automate their build, test, and release processes using a powerful, cloud-based pipeline engine. Drone CI can be installed on your server and accessed via a web browser. In this article we will look at why it is needed, how it can be useful in business, what advantages and disadvantages it has, where and by whom it is used, why it is worth using it and the conclusion about it.
Why do I need a Drone CI?
Drone CI is needed by those who want to have a convenient and reliable way to automate their software development and delivery processes. Drone CI allows you to:
- Configure your pipelines with a simple, clear file that you add to your git repository. Each step of the pipeline is executed inside an isolated Docker container, which is automatically loaded at runtime.
- Integrate with various source code management systems such as GitHub, GitHub Enterprise, Bitbucket, GitLab and others.
- Support different operating systems and architectures, such as Linux x64, ARM, ARM64 and Windows x64.
- Work with any language, database, or service that runs inside a Docker container. Choose from thousands of public Docker images or provide your own.
- Create and use plugins that add pre-configured steps to your pipeline. Choose from hundreds of existing plugins or create your own.
How can Drone CI be useful in business?
Drone CI can be useful in business for several reasons:
- You can improve the quality and speed of your software by using Drone CI for continuous integration and delivery, which provide fast feedback and bug fixes.
- You can reduce costs and risks by using Drone CI instead of complex and expensive continuous integration and delivery systems that require a lot of resources and support.
- You can support innovation and development by using Drone CI to work with new technologies and platforms, such as cloud services, containers, microservices or blockchain.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Drone CI?
Advantages of Drone CI:
- Simplicity: You don't waste time setting up your servers to build. You choose from thousands of Docker images and Drone CI automatically prepares your environment.
- Isolation: you don't worry about assembly conflicts on shared servers. Each build runs in an isolated Docker container, which gives you full control.
- Scalability: You don't choose between simplicity and scalability. Drone CI is installed from a single binary file and scaled automatically.
- Openness: You can use Drone CI for free, as it is an open source project1 licensed under AGPLv3. You can also contribute to the development of Drone CI or receive support from the community.
Disadvantages of Drone CI:
- Complexity: You must have certain knowledge and skills to install, configure and use Drone CI on your server, as well as to solve possible network, performance or compatibility problems.
- Responsibility: You are responsible for maintaining and updating your server and Drone CI, as well as for data backup.
- Limitations: You may encounter some limitations in the functionality or performance of Drone CI when working with very large or complex projects.
Where and by whom is Drone CI used?
Drone CI is used in various fields and industries, such as:
- Software development: Drone CI is used to automate the processes of building, testing and releasing software and services.
- Education: Drone CI is used to teach students and teachers various disciplines and technologies related to software development.
- Healthcare: Drone CI is used to develop and deliver medical software and systems.
- Law Enforcement: Drone CI is used to develop and deliver software and systems to protect information and communications.
Why should I use Drone CI?
Drone CI should be used exactly when you need:
- Have a convenient and reliable way to automate your software development and delivery processes
- Use open and free software for continuous integration and delivery
- Extend Drone CI functionality with various plugins
Conclusion about Drone CI
Drone CI is a state-of-the-art continuous integration and delivery platform that allows busy development teams to automate their build, test, and release processes using a powerful, cloud-based pipeline engine. Drone CI can be installed on your server and accessed via a web browser.